Reopening of the Church for Mass: what you need to know.
The Diocese has given permission for the Churches to reopen for public worship, according to the yellow stage of the Angican Diocese of Ottawa's Covid-19 plan. In preparing for the reopening of our church the following guidelines will be followed.
Before coming to Mass
Do a self evaluation:
- Do I have a fever or cough?
- Have I been in contact with someone who has been exposed to Covid 19?
- Have I been out of the country or been in contact with someone who has been out of the country in the last 14 days?
Reserve a spot
The church will only be able to host 30 people in the pews, using every 3rd pew, to allow for social distancing. However if you come as a family - “your bubble” and sit together we can accommodate more. Please email email@example.com by the prior Friday for Sunday attendance.
On entering the Church via the James St. door, each person must wear a mask, if you forget or do not have a mask, we have a supply of masks available. Sanitizer is available at the entrance to the Church.
- A collection plate will be at the entrance to the Church, to receive your donation, since there will be no ‘ passing of the plate’ during the service.
- You will be given a single use service booklet. Please take it away with you; there will be no hymn books or other service booklets in the pews.
- There will be hymns, and congregational singing is now permitted, while masked.
- We will have limited access to the washrooms; only the washroom in the entrance to the Church and one in the Parish Hall will be open.
- You will be encouraged to use the sanitizing wipes to wipe down the taps.
Reception of Communion
At the direction of the sides people, move into the centre aisle, keeping a 6-foot distance. Move forward to the Chancel steps where the Priest (wearing a mask and gloves) will give the Sacred Host into your hand for you to consume. Reception of Eucharistic wine is also permitted, if desired. Afterward, replace you mask and return to your pew by the side aisle. After the Mass you are asked not to linger and to leave the building by the main doors on Kent Street.
Attendance at Tuesday masses at 10 a.m. is also permitted, again with a maximum of 30 people, as long as participants also register in advance.
If you are unable or uncomfortable to attend Mass in person, you may continue to watch online via the church's <a href="https://stbarnabasottawa.com/%3Ca%20href%3D"https://www.facebook.com/StBarnaasOttawa">https://www.facebook.com/StBarnaasOttawa">Facebook page</a> or <a href="https://stbarnabasottawa.com/%3Ca%20href%3D"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2cvjb_mfXG_xVWVSTjpSg">https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2cvjb_mfXG_xVWVSTjpSg">YouTube account</a>.</div>